- By Pablo González, 2 Michelin star chef
The big question is: can you eat the scales of the fish? And in that case ... are they good?
In some types of fish, yes, as in that of the mullet, since they are very rich in collagen. We can take advantage of the scales with different foods and preparations: from fried to cooked and crushed to obtain the pure collagen that is so beneficial for our health.
How to make fried mullet flakes:
- This preparation is super simple and will give a touch of haute cuisine to our fish recipes. The first thing we must do is that when we go to the fishmonger, please ask the fishmonger not to remove the scales of our fish.
- Well, the second thing we have to do is remove the scales from the mullet with a small knife in the direction of counterscale and without squeezing too much so as not to damage the meat of the fish. We will do this on top of a container where the scales will fall to be able to recover them.
- We preheat a saucepan with sunflower oil to about 140 degrees, not too hot.
- We place the scales in a strainer that goes into the saucepan that we have put to preheat the oil.
- We immerse the strainer with the flakes in oil that we have preheated and leave it until the flakes turn golden.
- Once browned we spread them on absorbent paper to remove the excess oil and put them with salt.
- And we would already have the scales crispy and ready to eat.
Grilled red mullet with its crunchy scales
For this recipe we will ask the fishmonger to remove the loins from the red mullet.
- We withdraw the thorns that we have in the center of the loin so that when eating it is more pleasant (we could do it with tweezers).
- We preheat a frying pan with a little oil.
- We season the fish loin and we put it in the pan skin side down.
- When we see that the skin is golden, we turn carefully and allow a few seconds to finish cooking without it passing (this fish is delicious to eat little).
- We remove to our plate and finish with our crispy flakes on top. We will have a fantastic, simple and very tasty dish.